Jet Engine Model - Large Size - BLACK EDITION (Product ID: JET-LB)
What is this?
This is a 3D printed Jet Engine Model – Large Size – BLACK EDITION (Product ID: JET-LB)
A jet engine is a magnificent machine that burns energy-rich, liquid fuel and release hot exhaust gas to generate an extremely powerful pushing force called thrust. The thrust pushes a plane forward and take you to your desired destinations across the globe
Although a jet engine is a very complex machine, its working principle can be explained using four simple terms:
(SUCK) As the fan rotates, air is drawn in at the front through an inlet (or intake)
(SQUEEZE) Some of the air travels into the core of the engine and get compressed
(BANG) When the compressed air travels to the combustion chamber, it is mixed with fuel and combusted, producing hot gases.
(BLOW) The hot gases exit the combustor into the turbine, where its energy is extracted and used to drive the compressor and the fan.
The problem is: it is challenging to explain the above to someone whom isn’t familiar with gas turbine technology. That’s why in 2018, I decided to give myself a project: “Design and Make a 3D printed Jet Engine Model” to help explain how a 3-shaft jet engine works. The original project took me over 6 months to complete (as I did it entirely in my spare time after work). The design of the model has been constantly evolving since the project completed. The 3D printed Jet Engine model – BLACK EDITION (as you see in the pictures) is an upgraded version of the original design – EXTREME Version, which was introduced in Dec 2018.
Ready to order?
What are the differences between the BLACK EDITION and the EXTREME Version?
The BLACK EDITION has a number of additional features and upgraded features that aren’t available on the EXTREME Version:
– The BLACK EDITION model has a stunning matte black Fan (instead of glossy turquoise blue as on the EXTREME Version)
– The BLACK EDITION model has much better realistic-looking External Gearbox (located underneath the Fan Case)
– The BLACK EDITION model has a EEC (Electronic Engine Controller) mounted outside the Fan Case using magnets (completely detachable)
– The BLACK EDITION model has a Rear Engine Mount, fitted on top of the Tail Bearing Housing via M4 screws (completely detachable)
– The BLACK EDITION model has two Thrust Links, located between the Rear Engine Mount and the Intermediate Case (completely detachable)
– The BLACK EDITION model also comes with a 3D-printed human figure, which can be placed anywhere around the model to illustrate the true scale of the real engine
– The Front Support on the Stand has a better design to: (1) give the model better stability and (2) make External Gearbox visible when look from the front
– The Engine Build Stand is printed in a bespoke deep lime colour, which represents the true colour of the real Engine Build Stand
Overall dimensions: Length: 642.34mm, Height: 357.96mm, Width (or Fan Case Diameter): 312mm
Weight: Approx. 6kg
Fan speed: 10 rpm (motorised)
Manufacturing lead time: 5 – 7 weeks
Total number of components: 290 (see break down below)
Total number of 3D printed parts: 123
Total number of bought-in parts: 167 (includes bearings, fasteners, motor)
Material used: PLA, Breakaway, PVA
What can this model be used for?
The 3D printed Jet Engine model JET-LB is an excellent kit for STEM engagement because:
– It helps capture attention of young students instantly and engage with them more effectively.
– It helps the students better and quicker understand how a Jet Engine works in simple terms by being able to explore a physical model and interact with it (rather than looking at pictures or CAD model of an engine via an App on phones or tablets).
– The model is made by 3D printing, hence, it helps spark interesting conversations with the students about how technologies (such as additive manufacturing) are revolutionising the Engineering Industry today and how they can learn the skills that would benefit their careers in STEM in the near future.
– Because the model has a high level of complexity and is also an excellent representation of a real Jet Engine, it can be used to support and engage with audience of all age groups, from very young kids to professionals
– Finally, with its large size, high level of detail, as well as excellent quality and finish, this model can absolutely be used as a super impressive display model!
1, Does it spin? Yes, it does
2, Can I take the Engine off the Stand? Yes
3, Can I spin the Fan manually? Yes
4, Can the Fan be driven by a motor? Yes, and the motor is included
5, What is the motor rpm? 10 rpm as standard but can be swapped for a slower or faster motor
6, Can the motor be removed when not in use? Yes, the motor is hidden inside the Exhaust Nozzle and can be removed easily
7, Does the model has any internal components? Yes, it does – a section of the casing can be removed to reveal the internal of the model
8, Can the model be stripped down? No, most parts are glued together permanently. Only a few parts can be removed
9, Does it work like a real jet engine? No, this is only an educational model so please don’t put it on your RC airplane 🙂